- Show all articles ( 5 ) Collapse Articles
- Show all articles ( 27 ) Collapse Articles
Checking if device xx is ready: DeviceIoControl: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error
|Browsing disks: Checking if device 'Seagate OneTouch HDD SCSI Disk Device' (\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1) is ready: DeviceIoControl: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error.
This error can occur when performing a Disk Image Backup.
This error message indicates that there was a fatal hardware error when attempting to check if the disk device named 'xx' is ready.
When a fatal hardware error occurs, it typically means that the device has encountered a problem that prevents it from functioning properly. This could be due to a physical defect in the disk or controller hardware, such as a faulty component.
The error message specifically mentions the DeviceIoControl function, which is a Windows API function used to send control codes to a device driver. This suggests that the error occurred while attempting to communicate with the device driver for the disk.
To resolve this issue:
- Check windows system event logs for disk related errors, specifically around the time of backup.
- You may need to replace a faulty disk or controller.
- At this point it's important to ensure that you actually have good backups of any important data stored on this disk, as the fatal hardware error will likely cause data loss or corruption.